Skip to main content

A Boookworm in a lockdown year!


It was March 15th afternoon, I was preparing for my maths exam. I got a message from my friend saying that exams have been canceled due to the coronavirus. I didn't believe this message at first, but then I called my teacher to clarify the good news. And YES! It was true, the lockdown has started and exams were canceled. It was a joyful news for me. There it started my year full of reading and reading and more reading...  


I always loved to read books from the beginning. But I never got a whole year to reading and doing things I loved! 2020 turned into an amazing year for me( thanks Covid-19). The day the lockdown started, I started looking for books. All the books I bought for my birthday weren't enough for me. I ended up reading them in two weeks or so. This time I moved to e-books. I was confused about where to start with. I picked up a half-finished  Harry Potter series. I had already finished reading the first 4 books in the series a year before, but never intended to read the other books in the series(I don't know why)This time I thought of reading the other 3 books. Now I started reading from the beginning. I decided to read all the books in the series and finished them in one week! After reading the series, I started to give references from the books and soon done with movies also. Then I came to know about the effects. My little brother and my cousins started thinking that if I do/read/watch anything, it will be something about harry potter! I tried to explain to them that I finished reading it a long time ago and reading something else now, but no use, even now they think I only do things related to harry potter😒
So, after Harry Potter, I was attracted more to fantasy. I searched more fantasy and found another good series called  Percy Jackson Series. What happened if gods and the mythical stories we heard happened in the 21st century? It would turn into something very interesting or something adventurous. This book series follows Percy Jackson, a greek demigod( half human and half god), and his friends Annabeth Chase and Grover Underwood in Camp half-blood. There are sequels for this series like Heroes of Olympus and Trials of Apollo. Also, this one is one of my favorite series. This is based on Greek Gods and simply a beautifully written book! Now I started to chant Percy Jackson. While reading this series, I found my bad luck when I am reading a climax! In every climax scene, some interruptions came for me. Like when reading the scene where Percy kills Luke(If you haven't read the books, I won't tell who is he, just read the series :) ), I got a call from someone and lost my concentration.This happened to me in every book in the series!
After reading a huge pile of Fantasy books, I found a very heartwarming historical fiction The Night Diary by Indo-American author Veera Hiranandani. I was reading a book recommendation corner in a newspaper and found this book. I usually show more interest in illustrated covers, I found the cover so interesting loved it. After the moment I found about the book, I picked it up and started to read it. I've already written about this book in this blog. This is about the partition of India and Pakistan from a 12-year-old girl's point of view. It was an amazing read and must-read book. Veera Hiranandani's father was from Mirpur Khas a place which was a part of India back in 1947 and now in Pakistan. It's the story of thousands of people. It was such an amazing book that I finished this in nearly 4 hours. Though it seems a bit fast-paced, I loved this book. All I can say about this book is amazing!
So now it was nearly August or July. I was in a shortage of books. I searched through google, but nothing caught my eye. One day, I was reading the National Geographic Kids Magazine and found out about an interesting sci-fi adventure book, Explorer Academy. It's not that popular, but It's my favorite sci-fi series right now. There are  7 books, but only 4 have been released. I'm eagerly waiting for the release of the 5th book! So basically this book takes place in an Academy for the young explorers called Explorer Academy. It follows the adventures of Cruz Coronado, a boy from Hawaii, and his friends in the academy. If you love cipher codes, mystery, and lots of science then this book is perfect! While reading this series, I tried to learn more about cipher codes and found those interesting. I even sent an email to the author Trudi Trueit, and got a reply back! By this book, my interest in Sci-fi and fantasy grew bigger. 

So what should I read next? Again I found some good books like Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank, Keeper of Lost Cities, Land of Stories, Aru Shah, and equal number of Kannada books also.I'll write about the Kannada books I read in 2020 in next blog. I'll talk more about these books some other day. I made a list of books I read in the lockdown and it was more than 67 books! For me, 2020 was the year of books and reading. I learned a lot of new things apart from classes. Learning happened in a different way...

Please Fill this Blog Survey!





Comments

  1. I've not read the Night Diary yet, but I shall check it out now! Lovely post, Vanya! Have you read A Series of Unfortunate Events?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it yet.But will pick it up now. Hanks for reading Maya

      Delete
  2. I too was able to flourish as a reader in this lockdown! Awesome review of all the books ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I try to post weekly. The next part will come on 23rd or 24th

      Delete
  4. Waiting for your next part of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ಉಳಿದ ಪುಸ್ತಕಗಳ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಸಹ ಬರೆಯಿರಿ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ಬರೆಯುತ್ತೇನೆ. ಧನ್ಯವಾದಗಳು

      Delete
  6. ಕನ್ನಡ ಪುಸ್ತಕಗಳ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಸಹ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಬ್ಲಾಗ್ ಬರಲಿ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ಅದನ್ನು ಈಗ ಬರೆಯಬೇಕು. ಶಾಲೆ ಇರುವುದರಿಂದ ಬರೆಯಲು ತಡವಾಗಬಹುದು.ಅದಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಕ್ಷಮಿಸಿ

      Delete

Post a Comment

You may like these too...

ಭೂಮಿಯೂ ಒಂದು ಜೀವಿಯೆ?

 ಮೊನ್ನೆ ಬಿಕ್ಕೆ ಗುಡ್ಡಕ್ಕೆ ಹಣ್ಣು ಹೆಕ್ಕಲು ಹೊದಾಗ ಗೌರಿ ಹೂವಿನ ಬಳ್ಳಿಯನ್ನು ಕಂಡೆ. ಅದಾಗಲೆ ಕಂಬಳಿಹುಳವೊಂದು ಎಲೆಗಳನ್ನು ತಿನ್ನುತಿತ್ತು. ಮರುದಿನ ನೋಡಿದಾಗ ಹಕ್ಕಿಯೊಂದು ಅದೇ ಕಂಬಳಿಹುಳಗಳನ್ನು ತಿನ್ನುತಿತ್ತು. ಅಂದರೆ ನಿಸರ್ಗಕ್ಕೆ ಯಾವ ಜೀವಿಗಳೂ ಅತಿಯಾಗಿ ಸಂಖ್ಯೆ ಹೆಚ್ಚಿಸಲು ಕೊಡದೆ ಸಮತೋಲನ ಕಾಪಾಡಲು ಗೊತ್ತಿದೆ ಎಂದಾಯಿತು. ಆದರೆ  ಆಗ ತಾನೆ ಗೌರಿಹೂವು ಚಿಗುರಿದ್ದು ಚಿಟ್ಟೆಗೆ ಹೇಗೆ ಗೊತ್ತಾಯಿತು? ಅಲ್ಲಿಯೆ ಕಂಬಳಿಹುಳ ಹೆಚ್ಚು ಎಲೆಗಳನ್ನು ತಿನ್ನುತ್ತಿದೆ ಎಂಬುದು ಹಕ್ಕಿಗೆ ಹೇಗೆ ಗೊತ್ತಾಯಿತು?  ಮಳೆಗಾಲದಲ್ಲಿ    ಮಣ್ಣು ತೊಳೆದುಹೋದ ನಂತರ ಕೆಲವೇ ದಿನಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಹೊಸ ಹುಲ್ಲು ಹುಟ್ಟುತ್ತದೆ. ಹಾಗೆಯೇ ಹೊಸ ಮಣ್ಣು ಹಾಕಿದಾಗಲೂ ಸಹ ಬಚ್ಚಲುಬಳ್ಳಿಯಂತಹ ಬಳ್ಳಿಗಳು ನಾವು ಊಹಿಸಲೂ ಸಾಧ್ಯವಿಲ್ಲದ ವೇಗದಲ್ಲಿ  ಬೆಳೆಯುತ್ತವೆ. ಹಕ್ಕಿಗಳು ತಿಂದು ಬಿಸುಟಿದ ಬೀಜಗಳು ಮೊಳಕೆಯೊಡೆದು ಹೊರಬರುತ್ತವೆ.       ಹಾಗಾದರೆ ಭೂಮಿಗೆ ಯಾರು ಹೇಳಿಕೊಟ್ಟಿದ್ದು  ಮಣ್ಣು ತೊಳೆದು ಹೋಗಲಾಗದಂತೆ ಗಿಡ ಹುಟ್ಟಬೇಕೆಂದು? ಯಾರು ಹೇಳಿಕೊಟ್ಟಿದ್ದು ಹಕ್ಕಿಗಳು ಬೀಜ ಪ್ರಸಾರ ಮಾಡಬೇಕೆನ್ನುವುದ್ನನು? ಗದ್ದೆ ಕಟಾವಿನ ಕೆಲವೇ ದಿನಗಳ ನಂತರ ಕೀಟಹಾರಿ ಡ್ರಾಸಿರ ಗಿಡ ಹೇಗೆ ಬರುತ್ತವೆ? ಅಲ್ಲಿ ಹುಟ್ಟಿದರೆ ಮಾತ್ರ ಆಹಾರ ಸಿಗುತ್ತದೆ ಎಂದು ಡ್ರಾಸಿರಾಕ್ಕೆ ಹೇಗೆ ಗೊತ್ತು ?  ಹಾಗಾದರೆ ಭೂಮಿಗೂ ಪ್ರಜ್ನೆ ಇದೆಯೆ? ಭೂಮಿಯೂ ಒಂದು ಜೀವಿಯೆ?       ಈಗ ಜಾಗತಿಕ ವಿಷಯಗಳನ್ನು

ಜರ್ಮನಿಯ ಅಸ್ಪಷ್ಟ ನೆನೆಪುಗಳು!

 ಮೊನ್ನೆ ಹೀಗೆ ಯಾವುದರ  ಬಗ್ಗೆಯೋ ಮಾತಾಡುತ್ತಿದ್ದಾಗ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಅದೇಕೋ ಜರ್ಮನಿಯ ವಿಷಯ ಹಾದು ಹೋಯಿತು. ಸುಮಾರು ಮೂರೋ ನಾಲ್ಕೊ  ವರ್ಷದವಳಿರುವಾಗ ಅಪ್ಪ Griefwald ನಲ್ಲಿ ಇದ್ದಾಗ   ಮೂರು ತಿಂಗಳು ನಾವೂ ಅಲ್ಲಿಗೆ ಹೋಗಿದ್ದೆವು. ನಾನಾಗ ತುಂಬಾ ಚಿಕ್ಕವಳಿದ್ದುದ್ದರಿಂದ ಅಷ್ಟೇನೂ ಸರಿಯಾಗಿ ನೆನಪಿಲ್ಲ, ಆದರೂ ನನ್ನ ಅಸ್ಪಷ್ಟ ನೆನಪುಗಳನ್ನು ನಿಮ್ಮೊಂದಿಗೆ ಇಲ್ಲಿ ಹಂಚಿಕೊಳ್ಳುತ್ತೇನೆ. ಅದು ಸುಮಾರು ಮೇ ತಿಂಗಳ ಕೊನೆಯ ವಾರವೇನೋ, ನಾವು ಹೊರಟಿದ್ದು. ಬೆಂಗಳೂರಿನಿಂದ ಸುಡು ಬಿಸಿಲಿನ ಓಮಾನ್ ದೇಶಕ್ಕೆ, ನಂತರ Frankfurt ಗೆ ಹೋಗುವುದಾಗಿತ್ತು. ಅದರ ವೀಸಾಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಚೆನ್ನೈ ವರೆಗೆ ಅಲೆದು ಅಂತೂ ಎರಡನೇ ಪ್ರಯತ್ನದಲ್ಲಿ ವೀಸ ಸಿಕ್ಕಿತ್ತಂತೆ.ನನಗೆ ಅದರ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಹೆಚ್ಚೇನು ತಿಳಿದಿಲ್ಲ.       ಓಮಾನ್ ವಿಮಾನ ನಿಲ್ದಾಣದಲ್ಲಿ ಚೀನಾಕ್ಕೆ ಟೇಕ್ ಆಫ್ ಆಗಲಿದ್ದ ಕೆಂಪು  ವಿಮಾನದಲ್ಲೇ  ಹೋಗಬೇಕು ಎಂಬ ಡಿಮಾಂಡ್ ಮಾಡಿದ್ದೆ(ನನಗೆ ಕೆಂಪು ಎಂದರೆ ಭಾರಿ ಪ್ರೀತಿಯಾಗಿತ್ತು ಆಗ). ನಮ್ಮ ದುರಾದೃಷ್ಟ, ನಾವು ಪ್ರಯಾಣಿಸುವ ವಿಮಾನ ಹಸಿರು ತಿಳಿ ಹಸಿರು ಬಣ್ಣದ್ದಾಗಿತ್ತು. ಅದು ಹೇಗೊ ನಂಬಿಸಿ ಒಳಗೆ ಕರೆದುಕೊಂಡು ಹೋಗಿದ್ದರೂ ಮತ್ತೆ ಇಳಿದಾಗ ಅದರ ಬಣ್ಣ ಕಂಡುಹೊಯಿತು. ಇನ್ನೇನು ಮಾಡುವುದು? ಅಮ್ಮ "ವಿಮಾನಕ್ಕೆ ಆ ಬಣ್ಣ ಇಷ್ಟ ಆಜಿಲ್ಲ್ಯೆ,ಅದ್ಕೆ ಆಕಾಶದಲ್ಲೆ ಹಾರ್ತಾ ಇರಕಾರೆ ಬೇರೆ ಬಣ್ಣ ಪೇಂಟ್ ಮಾಡಿಗಿದ" ಎಂದು ನಂಬಿಸಿದ್ದಳು! ಅಂತೂ ಸಮಸ್ಯ

ಮರಗಳ ಮಾತನು ಕೇಳಿದಿರಾ?

  ನಾವೆಲ್ಲರೂ ಒಮ್ಮೆಯಾದರೂ ಈ ಕಥೆಯನ್ನು ಕೇಳಿರುತ್ತೇವೆ. ಒಬ್ಬ ಹುಡುಗ ದಿನವೂ ಒಂದು ಮಾವಿನ ಮರದ ಬಳಿ ಆಡಲು ಬರುತ್ತಿರುತ್ತಾನೆ. ಮರಕ್ಕೂ ಅವನನ್ನು ಕಂಡರೆ ತುಂಬಾ ಪ್ರೀತಿ. ಆ ಮರ ಅವನಿಗೆ ಹಣ್ಣುಗಳನ್ನು ಕೊಡುತ್ತಾ ಇರುತ್ತದೆ. ಸಮಯ ಕಳೆದಂತೆ ಹುಡುಗ ದೊಡ್ಡವನಾಗುತ್ತಾನೆ. ಮರದ ಬಳಿ ಬರುವುದನ್ನೇ ಕಡಿಮೆ ಮಾಡುತ್ತಾನೆ. ಒಮ್ಮೆ ಅವನು ಮರ ಇರುವ ದಾರಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಹೋಗುತ್ತಿರುತ್ತಾನೆ. ಮರ ಅವನನ್ನು ಕರೆಯುತ್ತದೆ. ''ಹುಡುಗಾ, ನಿನಗೆ ಹಣ್ಣು ಬೇಕೆ? ಬಾ ನನ್ನ ಮೇಲೆ ಹತ್ತಿ ಕುಳಿತಿಕೋ.'' ಎಂದು ಕರೆಯುತ್ತದೆ. ಹುಡುಗ ನಿರ್ದಾಕ್ಷಿಣವಾಗಿ '' ನಾನೀಗ ದೊಡ್ಡವನು.ನನಗೆ ಆಡಲು ಸಮಯವಿಲ್ಲ. ನನ್ನ ಗೆಳೆಯರಿಗೆ ಹಣ್ಣು ಬೇಕು. ನೀನು ಕೊಡುತ್ತಿಯಾ?'' ಎಂದು ಉತ್ತರಿಸುತ್ತಾನೆ. ''ಸರಿ. ನೀನೆ ಹಣ್ಣುಗಳನ್ನು ತೆಗೆದುಕೊ'' ಎಂದು ಹೇಳಿ  ಮರವೂ ಸುಮ್ಮನಾಗುತ್ತದೆ. ಕೆಲವು ವರ್ಷಗಳ ನಂತರ ಹುಡುಗ ಮತ್ತೆ ಬರುತ್ತಾನೆ. ಅವನೇಗ ಕೆಲಸ ಮಾಡುತ್ತಿರುವವವನು. ಮರ ಮೊದಲಿನಂತೆ  ಪ್ರೀತಿಯಿಂದ '' ಹುಡುಗಾ, ಬಾ  ನನ್ನ ಕೊಂಬೆಗಳ ಮೇಲೆ ಕುಳಿತು ಆಟವಾಡು. ನನ್ನ ಹಣ್ಣುಗಳನ್ನು ತಿನ್ನು ಎಂದು ಕರೆಯುತ್ತದೆ . ಆಗ ಅವನು ‘’ನನಗೆ ಸಮಯವಿಲ್ಲ. ನನಗೆ ನಿನ್ನ ಕಾಂಡ  ಬೇಕು. ಅದನ್ನು ಮಾರಿ ನಾನು ಹಣ ಗಳಿಸುತ್ತೇನೆ’’ ಎಂದು ಹೇಳುತ್ತಾನೆ.ಮರಕ್ಕೆ ನೋವಾದರೂ ಒಪ್ಪಿಕೊಂಡು ತನ್ನ ಕೊಂಬೆಗಳನ್ನು ಅವನಿಗೆ ನೀಡುತ್ತದೆ. ಹತ್ತ