Skip to main content

The story of my name!

 When I was born , my father was working for wildlife and forest conservation. So I was named Vanya, which means forest in sanskrit. Many times, people who came to our home, pronounced my name as Vaanya, which was supposed to be pronounce as Vanyaa. This always made me wonder, is there any other meaning for my name? But yesterday I accidently typed my name in google search and learnt more things about my name. Well, Vanya doesn’t only means forest… it has lot other meanings in other languages!

So here in India, there are a tonnes of girl’s names that ends with ‘nya’ or ‘ya’. For example : Dhanya, Manya, Kanya, Aanya, Aranya, Ananya, Kavya, Navya.. etc. Also, almost 80% of my friends’ name ends with ‘nya’ or ‘ya’ ! So whenever someone asks my name, many of them confuses it to some other name like Dhanya, and I have to explain my name with syllables.

This time, I searched over 50 websites about names and their meanings and finally found some meanings which seriously suits me! Literally Vanya means ‘Wild’. I think my name suits me… sometimes I’m wild about wild (no puns intended!) But according to many other sources, in sanskrit Vanya also meant savage or untamed 😅

Also, In Russian and some other languages , Vanya is a common name. In Russian, it means ‘Gracious’ , but it is a boy name in Russia and the pronounciation changes… so it doesn’t count. There’s a famous literary work in russian named Uncle Vanya, written by Anton chekhov.

So when I searched more meanings for my name in other languages, the story became too complicated. Some says it is a slavic origin name. And some says it is greek and latin origin name, and some says indian name… Now I was confused where my name came from. In greek and Latin it means butterfly and one who brings good news . And it also said it has hebrew origins! So according to all these, my name has sevaral versions and it has Indian, Slavic, Hebrew, Russian, Greek, Latin origins!

I somehow managed to find a sanskrit dictionary and I found some more interesting topics. In some ancient ayurveda books , Vanya means rosary pea, a beautiful red seed which is used for mesuring gold. Also the seeds are extreemly poisonus. My mother makes jewellaries by a slighly different variety of these seeds. And Vanya is also a synonym of Mudgaparni in ayurveda, which is now called as Green gram, according to a  13th-century medicinal dictionary called Raj Nighantu.

No matter how many meanings my name has, I’ll prefer forest as the meaning( I mean, I can’t say green gram or savage. Right?) my name has now 6 meanings! I never thought the meaning of my name is this complicated.

Finally ,the meanings of my name are:

  • Forest/ wild ( indian languages)
  • butterfly (greek and latin)
  • one who brings good news( greek and latin)
  • gracious (russian, scandinavian countries)
  • Rosary pea (sanskrit – in ayurveda)
  • Green gram(sanskrit- in ayurveda)

After learning all these meanings I am wondering how can a name have so many meanings and how can all these are similar in some points. Ex: you might’ve observed that in almost all cultures, Vanya is a girl name( Russia is an exception). Is it because cross cultural communication? I don’t know. What do you think of this? Do your name have various meanings too? What is the meaning of your name? I’d love to know!

References :

These are some of the websites I found useful while finiding the meanings behind my name.

Comments

  1. Your name is beautiful Vanya, and it's awesome that you found many different meanings to it. :D My name is an Irish name which is the female version of Quinn which translates (roughly) to "Strong girl."
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting to learn the origin of your name! Mine ends with 'ya' too and it means mystical/magic. Great post and your mom's jewellery is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your name, Vanya. 😊 Even though I don't know you, I think it suits you perfectly. I once did some research on my (real) name as well. While there are a few variations, the name Victoria comes from Latin and means "victory." While I love my name, I use a different one on the internet: Hividah (pronounced HIV-eye-duh). It's a name I invented myself, combining the English words "honey" and "vivid."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You may like these too...

ಭೂಮಿಯೂ ಒಂದು ಜೀವಿಯೆ?

 ಮೊನ್ನೆ ಬಿಕ್ಕೆ ಗುಡ್ಡಕ್ಕೆ ಹಣ್ಣು ಹೆಕ್ಕಲು ಹೊದಾಗ ಗೌರಿ ಹೂವಿನ ಬಳ್ಳಿಯನ್ನು ಕಂಡೆ. ಅದಾಗಲೆ ಕಂಬಳಿಹುಳವೊಂದು ಎಲೆಗಳನ್ನು ತಿನ್ನುತಿತ್ತು. ಮರುದಿನ ನೋಡಿದಾಗ ಹಕ್ಕಿಯೊಂದು ಅದೇ ಕಂಬಳಿಹುಳಗಳನ್ನು ತಿನ್ನುತಿತ್ತು. ಅಂದರೆ ನಿಸರ್ಗಕ್ಕೆ ಯಾವ ಜೀವಿಗಳೂ ಅತಿಯಾಗಿ ಸಂಖ್ಯೆ ಹೆಚ್ಚಿಸಲು ಕೊಡದೆ ಸಮತೋಲನ ಕಾಪಾಡಲು ಗೊತ್ತಿದೆ ಎಂದಾಯಿತು. ಆದರೆ  ಆಗ ತಾನೆ ಗೌರಿಹೂವು ಚಿಗುರಿದ್ದು ಚಿಟ್ಟೆಗೆ ಹೇಗೆ ಗೊತ್ತಾಯಿತು? ಅಲ್ಲಿಯೆ ಕಂಬಳಿಹುಳ ಹೆಚ್ಚು ಎಲೆಗಳನ್ನು ತಿನ್ನುತ್ತಿದೆ ಎಂಬುದು ಹಕ್ಕಿಗೆ ಹೇಗೆ ಗೊತ್ತಾಯಿತು?  ಮಳೆಗಾಲದಲ್ಲಿ    ಮಣ್ಣು ತೊಳೆದುಹೋದ ನಂತರ ಕೆಲವೇ ದಿನಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಹೊಸ ಹುಲ್ಲು ಹುಟ್ಟುತ್ತದೆ. ಹಾಗೆಯೇ ಹೊಸ ಮಣ್ಣು ಹಾಕಿದಾಗಲೂ ಸಹ ಬಚ್ಚಲುಬಳ್ಳಿಯಂತಹ ಬಳ್ಳಿಗಳು ನಾವು ಊಹಿಸಲೂ ಸಾಧ್ಯವಿಲ್ಲದ ವೇಗದಲ್ಲಿ  ಬೆಳೆಯುತ್ತವೆ. ಹಕ್ಕಿಗಳು ತಿಂದು ಬಿಸುಟಿದ ಬೀಜಗಳು ಮೊಳಕೆಯೊಡೆದು ಹೊರಬರುತ್ತವೆ.       ಹಾಗಾದರೆ ಭೂಮಿಗೆ ಯಾರು ಹೇಳಿಕೊಟ್ಟಿದ್ದು  ಮಣ್ಣು ತೊಳೆದು ಹೋಗಲಾಗದಂತೆ ಗಿಡ ಹುಟ್ಟಬೇಕೆಂದು? ಯಾರು ಹೇಳಿಕೊಟ್ಟಿದ್ದು ಹಕ್ಕಿಗಳು ಬೀಜ ಪ್ರಸಾರ ಮಾಡಬೇಕೆನ್ನುವುದ್ನನು? ಗದ್ದೆ ಕಟಾವಿನ ಕೆಲವೇ ದಿನಗಳ ನಂತರ ಕೀಟಹಾರಿ ಡ್ರಾಸಿರ ಗಿಡ ಹೇಗೆ ಬರುತ್ತವೆ? ಅಲ್ಲಿ ಹುಟ್ಟಿದರೆ ಮಾತ್ರ ಆಹಾರ ಸಿಗುತ್ತದೆ ಎಂದು ಡ್ರಾಸಿರಾಕ್ಕೆ ಹೇಗೆ ಗೊತ್ತು ?  ಹಾಗಾದರೆ ಭೂಮಿಗೂ ಪ್ರಜ್ನೆ ಇದೆಯೆ? ಭೂಮಿಯೂ ಒಂದು ಜೀವಿಯೆ?       ಈಗ ಜಾಗತಿಕ ವಿಷಯಗಳನ್ನು

ಜರ್ಮನಿಯ ಅಸ್ಪಷ್ಟ ನೆನೆಪುಗಳು!

 ಮೊನ್ನೆ ಹೀಗೆ ಯಾವುದರ  ಬಗ್ಗೆಯೋ ಮಾತಾಡುತ್ತಿದ್ದಾಗ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಅದೇಕೋ ಜರ್ಮನಿಯ ವಿಷಯ ಹಾದು ಹೋಯಿತು. ಸುಮಾರು ಮೂರೋ ನಾಲ್ಕೊ  ವರ್ಷದವಳಿರುವಾಗ ಅಪ್ಪ Griefwald ನಲ್ಲಿ ಇದ್ದಾಗ   ಮೂರು ತಿಂಗಳು ನಾವೂ ಅಲ್ಲಿಗೆ ಹೋಗಿದ್ದೆವು. ನಾನಾಗ ತುಂಬಾ ಚಿಕ್ಕವಳಿದ್ದುದ್ದರಿಂದ ಅಷ್ಟೇನೂ ಸರಿಯಾಗಿ ನೆನಪಿಲ್ಲ, ಆದರೂ ನನ್ನ ಅಸ್ಪಷ್ಟ ನೆನಪುಗಳನ್ನು ನಿಮ್ಮೊಂದಿಗೆ ಇಲ್ಲಿ ಹಂಚಿಕೊಳ್ಳುತ್ತೇನೆ. ಅದು ಸುಮಾರು ಮೇ ತಿಂಗಳ ಕೊನೆಯ ವಾರವೇನೋ, ನಾವು ಹೊರಟಿದ್ದು. ಬೆಂಗಳೂರಿನಿಂದ ಸುಡು ಬಿಸಿಲಿನ ಓಮಾನ್ ದೇಶಕ್ಕೆ, ನಂತರ Frankfurt ಗೆ ಹೋಗುವುದಾಗಿತ್ತು. ಅದರ ವೀಸಾಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಚೆನ್ನೈ ವರೆಗೆ ಅಲೆದು ಅಂತೂ ಎರಡನೇ ಪ್ರಯತ್ನದಲ್ಲಿ ವೀಸ ಸಿಕ್ಕಿತ್ತಂತೆ.ನನಗೆ ಅದರ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಹೆಚ್ಚೇನು ತಿಳಿದಿಲ್ಲ.       ಓಮಾನ್ ವಿಮಾನ ನಿಲ್ದಾಣದಲ್ಲಿ ಚೀನಾಕ್ಕೆ ಟೇಕ್ ಆಫ್ ಆಗಲಿದ್ದ ಕೆಂಪು  ವಿಮಾನದಲ್ಲೇ  ಹೋಗಬೇಕು ಎಂಬ ಡಿಮಾಂಡ್ ಮಾಡಿದ್ದೆ(ನನಗೆ ಕೆಂಪು ಎಂದರೆ ಭಾರಿ ಪ್ರೀತಿಯಾಗಿತ್ತು ಆಗ). ನಮ್ಮ ದುರಾದೃಷ್ಟ, ನಾವು ಪ್ರಯಾಣಿಸುವ ವಿಮಾನ ಹಸಿರು ತಿಳಿ ಹಸಿರು ಬಣ್ಣದ್ದಾಗಿತ್ತು. ಅದು ಹೇಗೊ ನಂಬಿಸಿ ಒಳಗೆ ಕರೆದುಕೊಂಡು ಹೋಗಿದ್ದರೂ ಮತ್ತೆ ಇಳಿದಾಗ ಅದರ ಬಣ್ಣ ಕಂಡುಹೊಯಿತು. ಇನ್ನೇನು ಮಾಡುವುದು? ಅಮ್ಮ "ವಿಮಾನಕ್ಕೆ ಆ ಬಣ್ಣ ಇಷ್ಟ ಆಜಿಲ್ಲ್ಯೆ,ಅದ್ಕೆ ಆಕಾಶದಲ್ಲೆ ಹಾರ್ತಾ ಇರಕಾರೆ ಬೇರೆ ಬಣ್ಣ ಪೇಂಟ್ ಮಾಡಿಗಿದ" ಎಂದು ನಂಬಿಸಿದ್ದಳು! ಅಂತೂ ಸಮಸ್ಯ

ಮರಗಳ ಮಾತನು ಕೇಳಿದಿರಾ?

  ನಾವೆಲ್ಲರೂ ಒಮ್ಮೆಯಾದರೂ ಈ ಕಥೆಯನ್ನು ಕೇಳಿರುತ್ತೇವೆ. ಒಬ್ಬ ಹುಡುಗ ದಿನವೂ ಒಂದು ಮಾವಿನ ಮರದ ಬಳಿ ಆಡಲು ಬರುತ್ತಿರುತ್ತಾನೆ. ಮರಕ್ಕೂ ಅವನನ್ನು ಕಂಡರೆ ತುಂಬಾ ಪ್ರೀತಿ. ಆ ಮರ ಅವನಿಗೆ ಹಣ್ಣುಗಳನ್ನು ಕೊಡುತ್ತಾ ಇರುತ್ತದೆ. ಸಮಯ ಕಳೆದಂತೆ ಹುಡುಗ ದೊಡ್ಡವನಾಗುತ್ತಾನೆ. ಮರದ ಬಳಿ ಬರುವುದನ್ನೇ ಕಡಿಮೆ ಮಾಡುತ್ತಾನೆ. ಒಮ್ಮೆ ಅವನು ಮರ ಇರುವ ದಾರಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಹೋಗುತ್ತಿರುತ್ತಾನೆ. ಮರ ಅವನನ್ನು ಕರೆಯುತ್ತದೆ. ''ಹುಡುಗಾ, ನಿನಗೆ ಹಣ್ಣು ಬೇಕೆ? ಬಾ ನನ್ನ ಮೇಲೆ ಹತ್ತಿ ಕುಳಿತಿಕೋ.'' ಎಂದು ಕರೆಯುತ್ತದೆ. ಹುಡುಗ ನಿರ್ದಾಕ್ಷಿಣವಾಗಿ '' ನಾನೀಗ ದೊಡ್ಡವನು.ನನಗೆ ಆಡಲು ಸಮಯವಿಲ್ಲ. ನನ್ನ ಗೆಳೆಯರಿಗೆ ಹಣ್ಣು ಬೇಕು. ನೀನು ಕೊಡುತ್ತಿಯಾ?'' ಎಂದು ಉತ್ತರಿಸುತ್ತಾನೆ. ''ಸರಿ. ನೀನೆ ಹಣ್ಣುಗಳನ್ನು ತೆಗೆದುಕೊ'' ಎಂದು ಹೇಳಿ  ಮರವೂ ಸುಮ್ಮನಾಗುತ್ತದೆ. ಕೆಲವು ವರ್ಷಗಳ ನಂತರ ಹುಡುಗ ಮತ್ತೆ ಬರುತ್ತಾನೆ. ಅವನೇಗ ಕೆಲಸ ಮಾಡುತ್ತಿರುವವವನು. ಮರ ಮೊದಲಿನಂತೆ  ಪ್ರೀತಿಯಿಂದ '' ಹುಡುಗಾ, ಬಾ  ನನ್ನ ಕೊಂಬೆಗಳ ಮೇಲೆ ಕುಳಿತು ಆಟವಾಡು. ನನ್ನ ಹಣ್ಣುಗಳನ್ನು ತಿನ್ನು ಎಂದು ಕರೆಯುತ್ತದೆ . ಆಗ ಅವನು ‘’ನನಗೆ ಸಮಯವಿಲ್ಲ. ನನಗೆ ನಿನ್ನ ಕಾಂಡ  ಬೇಕು. ಅದನ್ನು ಮಾರಿ ನಾನು ಹಣ ಗಳಿಸುತ್ತೇನೆ’’ ಎಂದು ಹೇಳುತ್ತಾನೆ.ಮರಕ್ಕೆ ನೋವಾದರೂ ಒಪ್ಪಿಕೊಂಡು ತನ್ನ ಕೊಂಬೆಗಳನ್ನು ಅವನಿಗೆ ನೀಡುತ್ತದೆ. ಹತ್ತ